Your shopping cart
Pay it forward this Mandela Day
South Africans will be doing their part for Nelson Mandela International Day (Mandela Day) on 18 July and contributing 67 minutes of their time to community service in a bid to give back to society.
City Sightseeing, the company that runs the iconic red double decker buses in Cape Town and Johannesburg, will be doing its bit through an innovative giveaway that allows others to pay it forward in true “Madiba style”.
The concept behind this giveaway is that people can nominate someone they feel is deserving of an amazing day out. Nominations are open for that special friend who needs a break, the family down the road who have not been on holiday in years or even the granny in the local home that would love a trip around the city with her friends. All nominations will be collected via social media and the lucky recipients will be drawn on Mandela Day.
There are 67 sets of one-day double tickets up for grabs.
Enter the competition on Facebook and fill in the entry by emailing through the name of the person you nominate and why you feel they should win. Each winning nomination will receive one set of double tickets to explore Johannesburg or Cape Town on the red double-decker hop on-hop off bus tours. Nominations close at 18h00 on 18 July 2018 (Mandela Day) and winners will be announced on 31 July 2018.
This is a fantastic way to give back to someone who you feel needs a well-deserved break – a day out from everything to have fun and make memories with their family.
Reconnect and remember Nelson Mandela while on the City Sightseeing bus in Cape Town:
Before getting on to the City Sightseeing bus at the V&A Waterfront (stop 1) be sure to pay homage to Mandela by visiting his statue, which stands alongside his fellow South African Nobel laureates. Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years is a short ferry ride away from the Nelson Mandela Gateway at the V&A Waterfront. The Nelson Mandela Gateway is located by stop 2 at the V&A Waterfront Clock Tower.
Walk in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela on the City Sightseeing bus in Joburg:
Where the Johannesburg City and Green Tours meet stands what once was one of South Africa’s most oppressive places, but is now a celebration of democracy and freedom. Situated on a hill overlooking the city of Johannesburg, Constitution Hill (stop 5) is home to a former prison complex, as well as the country's highest court. Mahatma Gandhi, Robert Sobukwe, Nelson Mandela and students who took part in the 1976 uprising were all detained here.
Take a step further back in time at the Apartheid Museum (stop 14), a world-class facility providing a journey of self-exploration into the days of apartheid through informative, interactive displays and film footage. Please note that children need to be at least 11 years old to visit the museum.
Terms and conditions of the “Pay it forward” nominations:
- The “Pay it forward” nominations are open to anyone, excluding City Sightseeing South Africa employees and their immediate family members
- The nomination period runs until 6pm on Tuesday 18 July 2018
- The winning nominations will be notified by email, and a select few will be shared on the City Sightseeing South Africa Facebook page and on the City Sightseeing Cape Town and City Sightseeing Joburg Twitter accounts. A select few will also be featured on the City Sightseeing South Africa blog and Cape Town and Johannesburg newsletters
- Visit https://contest.fbapp.io/zljiyg to enter by emailing the name of the person you nominate, the person’s city (Cape Town or Johannesburg) and why you feel he or she should win
- Sixty-seven nominated recipients will each receive a set of two one-day tickets, which are valid for the City Tour or Green Tour in Joburg or Cape Town’s City Tour to Table Mountain, Wine Tour and Mini Peninsula Tour
- Prizes include the City Sightseeing South Africa routes only. Prizes exclude any expenses incurred at the stops along the routes
- Prizes cannot be redeemed for cash
- You can only nominate one person
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into