Your shopping cart
Families come first with the red bus 3-for-1 Kids’ Special
In Joburg, icy mornings are giving way to sunny afternoons, while golden days in coastal Cape Town are interspersed with welcome rain. With winter well and truly here and mid-year school holidays coming up in both Jozi and the Mother City, now’s a great time to plan a family day out with City Sightseeing’s 3-for-1 Kids’ Special.
This fabulous offer, valid on weekends, school holidays and public holidays until 8 October 2018, allows two children (under 18) to hop on a wide variety of tours for free with a paying adult.
In Joburg, enjoy the popular Green Tour starting in Rosebank and winding through the leafy suburbs around Zoo Lake and the Johannesburg Zoo, and the exciting City Tour, exploring the heart of the City of Gold (you can hop on and off as often as you like). Here are some highlights if you have kids in tow:
- Zoo Lake (stop 2) is a Joburg institution – kids (and adults) love the paddle boats on this man-made lake. Sit back, enjoy the tranquillity and count how many species of waterbirds you encounter. You can also head to the adjoining Moyo restaurant for a traditional African lunch in family-friendly surroundings
- The next stop on the Green Tour route is the iconic Johannesburg Zoo (stop 3), with a relaxed park-like setting. The zoo has a strong focus on conservation and the animal enclosures are large with natural scenery. This is also a great spot for a picnic
- Kids love tall buildings and long rides in a lift! Hop off at stop 11 to head up to the viewing deck at the top of the Carlton Centre, Africa’s tallest skyscraper, and see the whole of Jozi and beyond
- The James Hall Museum of Transport (stop 12) is South Africa's largest land transport museum. The whole family will be fascinated by the animal-drawn vehicles dating back to the 1870s, penny-farthings, vintage cars, fire engines through the decades and more
- Gold Reef City (stop 13) has a range of attractions, including a thrilling theme park (with a special section with kiddies’ rides), an underground mine tour and a heritage tour. This is also where you can hop on the add-on trip to Soweto (in conjunction with the City Tour)
The Cape Town 3-for-1 Kids’ Special deal includes a one-day Classic red bus ticket, comprising the City Tour to Table Mountain, the Constantia Wine Bus, and the Mini Peninsula Tour to Kirstenbosch and Hout Bay. Top stops for families include:
- The spectacular Two Oceans Aquarium (stop 1), one of the Mother City’s most popular attractions and home to more than 3 000 sea creatures, including sharks, fish, turtles and penguins
- The iconic flat-topped Table Mountain (stop 7) is arguably Cape Town’s most famous sight – and the panoramic views from the top make for memories for a lifetime. Kids will love exploring at the top and spotting the resident dassies (rock hyraxes)
- Hop off at stop 20 to visit the world-famous 528ha Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden (stop 20) on the southern slopes of the mountain – marvel at the cultivated gardens, natural forest and fynbos, and spot indigenous birds (and, if you’re lucky, small animals, reptiles, frogs and invertebrates)
- Another Cape Town institution is the World of Birds (stop 22), with many different species of birds, small mammals and reptiles in a landscaped area with walk-through aviaries
- What’s a family outing without a beach? Camps Bay (stop 8) has the perfect winter beach: once you’ve rambled and explored, just cross the road for a warming drink or meal at one of the famous strip’s myriad restaurant and eateries
Alternatively, opt for one of two 3-for-1 Kids’ Special boat rides. Two kids hop on the Waterfront Harbour Cruise for free if they’re with a paying adult – or choose the same deal with the Canal Cruise, departing every 20 minutes from the jetty outside the Two Oceans Aquarium and travelling to the Cape Town International Convention Centre, stopping off at the One&Only Cape Town, City Lodge and Harbour Bridge.
Both cruises have on-board commentary in 15 languages and a kids’ channel. Enjoy the scenery, see the V&A Waterfront’s resident seals and learn more about Cape Town’s nautical history.
Where do you get your tickets?
If you're in Cape Town, there are two 3-for-1 specials: the Classic bus ticket and the one-day Harbour or Canal Cruise ticket. In Joburg you can choose between two options: the one-day red bus ticket and the one-day red bus and Soweto Combo tour ticket.
Buy your adult tickets from our tour offices in Cape Town (stops 1, 5 and 8) and Joburg (stop 1), or online (click here for Cape Town, and here for Joburg). You'll receive the adult tickets online and the kids’ tickets on the day only. Simply bring your printed ticket with barcode to a City Sightseeing tour office to pick up the children’s tickets; or have your barcode scanned by your bus driver as you hop on the bus.
Have a look at the timetable
The Cape Town winter timetable sees the first bus departing from the V&A Waterfront (stop 1) at 8.40am, and the last bus of the day stopping at the V&A Waterfront (stop 1) at 6.11pm and terminating at 81 Long Street (stop 5).