13 November 2017
Many a tourist to South Africa will tell you that you haven't really experienced the country if you haven't been to the historically rich and vibrant township of Soweto, which got its name from the first two letters of each word in its historical description as the South Western Township.
What is the City Tour and Soweto Combo all about?
When buying a combo ticket, you get access to all three City Sightseeing's tours in Johannesburg.
Welcome to Soweto. (Image: City Sightseeing South Africa)
Our red bus will take you from Rosebank to Constitution Hillthrough the most wooded parts of the city on the Green Tour. At Constitution Hill you'll hop on the City Tour, which will take you to Gold Reef City Casino Hotel.
Here you'll be met by our Soweto guides, who will let you hop on a bright-red minibus taxi and take you on an unforgettable and informative trip to the township's most significant historical landmarks, including:
- FNB Stadium, the biggest stadium in Africa
- Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, built during World War II and one of the largest hospitals in the world
- Bara Taxi Rank, the largest in Johannesburg
- Orlando Towers, a colourful landmark popular for bungee and base jumping, and abseiling
- Orlando Stadium, the first sports facility built for black South Africans in a residential area
- Hector Pieterson Memorial in Orlando West
- Vilakazi Street, the only street in the world in which two Nobel Prize winners – Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu – have lived
- Kliptown Open Air Museum in Walter Sisulu Square
Where do I hop on the taxi to Soweto?
Hop off the bus and on the Soweto tour at Gold Reef City Casino Hotel (stop 13).
At what time does the tour depart to Soweto?
Tours depart from Gold Reef City Casino Hotel to Soweto at 10.05am, 11.10am, 12.10pm, 1.10pm, 2.15pm and 15.20pm.
Have a look at the timetable to make sure you don't miss the last tour to or from Soweto.
How long does the tour take?
Mandela House in Vilakazi Street. (Image: City Sightseeing South Africa)
The tour takes two hours, but if you're not on the last tour of the day you can choose to spend more time at the Orlando Towers, Hector Pieterson Memorial or Vilakazi Street and hop on a later taxi back to Gold Reef City.
Just inform your guide and make sure you don't miss the last taxi back by keeping an eye on the time.
Where can I buy tickets?
You'll save R50 per adult when buying your tickets online. Otherwise you can buy them on the bus or at our ticket office at Gold Reef City Casino Hotel.
Go for a stroll along Vilakazi Street. (Image: City Sightseeing South Africa)