The LaGuGu Township Tour is a not-to-be-missed township tour that offers a unique, personal, in-depth and unforgettable experience of the Cape Town townships of Langa (the city’s original and oldest township) and Gugulethu.
Best way to visit Langa and Gugulethu
- The LaGuGu Tour taxis depart from stop 5, our Long Street ticket office. The first tour leaves at 9am and the last tour leaves at 3pm
- Taxis run every 60 minutes
- The last taxi leaves Langa at 4.30pm and arrives at our Long Street ticket office at 5pm
- Total tour duration (with no hop-offs): approx. 3 hours
- The guided tour is in English and includes a free walking tour
- The tour costs R320 per adult (or R300 online) and R160 for children up to the age of 17. Children under five can join for free
Best things to see on the Cape Town LaGuGu Township Tour
Langa and Gugulethu both offer incredible experiences – from a visit to the old dompas office (now a Township Heritage Museum) and Brenda Fassie's house to the Gugulethu Seven Monument (an anti-apartheid memorial).
Explore Langa and dine at Mzoli's in Gugulethu
The LaGuGu Township Tour is unique because it allows you to hop off at various stops along the route and spend as much time there as you want to. Your township experience would not be complete without the free hour-long walking tour in Langa. Once you've worked up an appetite, hop off at Mzoli's in Gugulethu for a meal.
Where does the Cape Town LaGuGu Township Tour start?
The tour starts at stop 5 at our Long Street tour office. Look out for the bright red LaGuGu minibus taxis that will take you to Langa and Gugs.
From here, we travel to Langa, South Africa's first township, where you can explore our stops:
- Langa Tour Office
- Langa Dom Pass Office
- Brenda Fassie's house at Makana Square
- Sobukwe Square
- Langa High School
- Old Beer Hall in Langa
Then we travel towards Gugulethu, or "Place of Pride". On the way you can stop to see the N2 Gateway Housing Development.
In Gugulethu, or Gugs as is it fondly known, you can explore these stops:
- Gugulethu Seven Monument
- Amy Biehl Monument
- Mzoli's Restaurant.
The tour runs every 60 minutes. View our timetable for details.